Andy Murray

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Andy Murray

The former temporary home of members of the former official forum of tennis player Andy Murray. This forum is no longer in use save as an archive. Please join us by re-registering at www.andymurrayfanforum.com/

5 posters

Books - what are you reading?

RoastLamb
    RoastLamb

Books - what are you reading? Empty Books - what are you reading?

Post  RoastLamb Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:14 am

My first thread. Yay!

I just finished reading a very profoundly moving book called Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. It's about something I'd never heard of before (and can't believe I haven't!) - the Jewish roundup called Vel' d'Hiv in July 1942. Shocking and disturbing to say the least. Very well written even if the author has obviously been reading too much Dan Brown (cliffhangers at the end of every chapter).
    Linda
    Linda

Books - what are you reading? Empty Re: Books - what are you reading?

Post  Linda Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:18 am

Well, I'm reading Rafa's book. And it's a very good read. Each chapter is split into two - the first half in Rafa's words, and the second half in John Carlin's words with stuff he's got from interviewing family & friends. Rafa has always been such a private person and it's incredible how much he has opened up for this book.
    galagirl

Post  galagirl Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:00 am

R.L.thanks for opening the book thread. I always liked to browse this thread in the old forum.
    That book you describe sounds very interesting - must look for it for my Kindle

Last edited by galagirl on Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    jaydu
    jaydu

Post  jaydu Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:56 am

i often go back and read books i have read before, some books i must have read a dozen times, the only exception to the rule is my favorite book which ihave only ever read once and i haven't read in about twenty years ,i was very tempted to buy it the other day but resisted the temptation Very Happy
    traveller7
    traveller7

Post  traveller7 Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:59 am

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown - liked the movie better than the Da Vinci Code.
    Linda
    Linda

Post  Linda Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:01 am

Jay, I also keep all books that I've enjoyed so that I can re-read them. Must have about 200 books in my collection now. Would love to know what is your favourite book.

I remember in the early days of am.com I used to discuss books with Arka. We both really loved A Suitable Boy.
    jaydu
    jaydu

Post  jaydu Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:39 am

Linda wrote:Jay, I also keep all books that I've enjoyed so that I can re-read them. Must have about 200 books in my collection now. Would love to know what is your favourite book.

I remember in the early days of am.com I used to discuss books with Arka. We both really loved A Suitable Boy.

The Stonor Eagles by William Horwood,
    jaydu
    jaydu

Post  jaydu Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:39 am

Linda wrote:Jay, I also keep all books that I've enjoyed so that I can re-read them. Must have about 200 books in my collection now. Would love to know what is your favourite book.

The Stonor Eagles by William Horwood,
    Linda
    Linda

Post  Linda Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:50 am

jaydu wrote:The Stonor Eagles by William Horwood,

Thanks Jay, have to admit that's one I haven't read.
    jaydu
    jaydu

Post  jaydu Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:56 am

Linda wrote:
    jaydu wrote:The Stonor Eagles by William Horwood,

Thanks Jay, have to admit that's one I haven't read.
    horwood is a little obscure , he tends to do books about animals and tells it from there perspective. stoners eagles tell the story of a young eagle and its journey back to ancient homelands , and it mirrors it through the life of a young kid growing up on the south coast
    horwoods most famous books are properly dunction woods about a setc of moles Very Happy
    Linda
    Linda

Post  Linda Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:00 am

Thanks Jay, read Duncton Wood, was one of my Mum's favourite books. There was another author she really liked who used to write about animals too but I can't remember who it was now.

I love books written by foreign authors that give you insight into a completely different way of life, especially authors from India or Middle East, also Africa, Japan etc. I also like books that are very well written (unfortunately American authors put me off) such as anything by Kazuo Ishiguro.
    RoastLamb
    RoastLamb

Post  RoastLamb Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:14 am

I'm not big on American authors either. I love the mystery genre but the only American mystery writer who sets her books in America I can stomach is Sue Grafton.

I wonder if I had to pick, what would be my fave book of all time? Interesting.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:56 pm