Andy Murray

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Andy Murray

The former temporary home of members of the former official forum of tennis player Andy Murray. This forum is no longer in use save as an archive. Please join us by re-registering at www.andymurrayfanforum.com/

+9
cazza99
Golden Lady
lynne
Linda
Alis
JAMES4578
patmoren
Admin
RoastLamb
13 posters

Davis Cup - the rest of the world

RoastLamb
    RoastLamb

Davis Cup - the rest of the world - Page 2 Empty Re: Davis Cup - the rest of the world

Post  RoastLamb Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:52 am

Canada is playing France at home. Keeping fingers and toes crossed it's in Toronto so I can go see them. Will cheer my little derriere off.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Davis Cup - the rest of the world - Page 2 Empty Re: Davis Cup - the rest of the world

Post  Admin Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:50 am

WORLD GROUP R1 TIES 2012

Spain hosts Kazakhstan
    Austria hosts Russia
    Canada hosts France
    Swiss hosts USA
    Czech Republic hosts Italy
    Serbia hosts Sweden
    Japan hosts Croatia
    Germany hosts Argentina
    david1611

Post  david1611 Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:50 am

EUROPE/AFRICA ZONE GROUP I

Israel (s) v Bye
    Portugal v Bye
    Belgium (s) v Bye
    Great Britain (c) v Slovak Republic
    Finland v Netherlands (c)
    Bye v Romania (s)
    Denmark v Slovenia (c)
    Bye v South Africa (s)

I hadn't realised Portugal was in GB's group. I might have had the chance of coordinating a mass a.m. visit to watch Andy, and also getting the chance to see him live in Portugal Shocked
    Linda
    Linda

Post  Linda Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:59 am

There is a chance we could play Portugal next September - see the DC 2012 thread.
    JAMES4578
    JAMES4578

Post  JAMES4578 Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:30 am

RoastLamb wrote:Canada is playing France at home. Keeping fingers and toes crossed it's in Toronto so I can go see them. Will cheer my little derriere off.

Fab that Canada back in the top tier of course, though they will have it tough. Hopefully you are able to go Fiona!
    RoastLamb
    RoastLamb

Post  RoastLamb Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:08 am

JAMES4578 wrote:
    RoastLamb wrote:Canada is playing France at home. Keeping fingers and toes crossed it's in Toronto so I can go see them. Will cheer my little derriere off.

Fab that Canada back in the top tier of course, though they will have it tough. Hopefully you are able to go Fiona!

Thanks James! Spain has it pretty easy methinks.
    ElaineS
    ElaineS

Post  ElaineS Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:31 am

I really hope Andy's schedule allows him to play the next ties in 2012. What do you think of our chances if Andy weren't in the team?
    JAMES4578
    JAMES4578

Post  JAMES4578 Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:01 pm

ElaineS wrote:I really hope Andy's schedule allows him to play the next ties in 2012. What do you think of our chances if Andy weren't in the team?

Can't see us beating Slovakia without Andy tbh!

ElaineS
    ElaineS

Post  ElaineS Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:07 am

Hopefully there will be a few changes made to the player's schedules that allows them to come from a major to play in the Davis Cup with at least a small break in between eh! Folk seem to zero in on they have no right to complain about schedule when they are making so much money but when they want to play as part of their team but they are burnt out and run the risk of failing their team, then I completely see where they are coming from.
    RoastLamb
    RoastLamb

Post  RoastLamb Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:47 am

http://espn.go.com/tennis/blog/_/name/bodo_peter

This blog addresses the fact that even though Djoko was burned out for DC Rafa seemed fired up and yet they were both in the USO final.
    Linda
    Linda

Post  Linda Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:50 am

There's now another article above that one, you have to scroll down to see the article RL is referring to. The new article is very unsympathetic to the players.
    ElaineS
    ElaineS

Post  ElaineS Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:56 am

I'm totally behind the players on this matter. Its so easy for people to say they are out of order complaining about the schedule when they themselves do not push their bodies to the extreme limits on a punishing schedule. In any sport there should be enough time to recharge your batteries. Too many players barely heal injuries before they are back on court and doing more damage. I know as a Scot Andy isn't about the money, he is about the game and wanting to give it his all and to be at his fittest. Just because Rafa was gungho I'm alright Jack does not mean the others were.
    The Women's schedule was changed a few years back so why can't the guys be.
    Glad to see Martina Navratilova is behind them, just read an article on the BBC tennis page about her view.
    jeannie13
    jeannie13

Post  jeannie13 Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:32 am

ElaineS wrote:I'm totally behind the players on this matter. Its so easy for people to say they are out of order complaining about the schedule when they themselves do not push their bodies to the extreme limits on a punishing schedule. In any sport there should be enough time to recharge your batteries. Too many players barely heal injuries before they are back on court and doing more damage. I know as a Scot Andy isn't about the money, he is about the game and wanting to give it his all and to be at his fittest. Just because Rafa was gungho I'm alright Jack does not mean the others were.
    The Women's schedule was changed a few years back so why can't the guys be.
    Glad to see Martina Navratilova is behind them, just read an article on the BBC tennis page about her view.

Well said Elaine--I agree with all you say. We all know that Andy isn't about the money. However he seems to be getting flak for speaking his mind over conditions. What's new!!Evil or Very Mad
    RoastLamb
    RoastLamb

Post  RoastLamb Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:40 am

I personally think they should do what the WTA have done and finish the tour at the end of October. Of course, you'll still get the exhos - I really don't see how the top players can justify those and complain about the tour as well.
    JAMES4578
    JAMES4578

Post  JAMES4578 Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:44 am

The scheduling really needs to be looked at again to protect the players and the public's interest as we all want to see top quality tennis as often as possible. Some of the comments directed at Andy were OTT to say the least and I think the top players are pretty much in agreement. We know some changes have been made for 2012/13 but don't think it's the ideal solution and it's a hectic year with the tour, Slams, DC and the Olympics of course.
    Linda
    Linda

Post  Linda Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:34 am

I also think that more tournaments should be non-compulsory so they can arrange their breaks when they need them. They could start off by making it 'four other tournaments' (i.e. they could choose from 500's and 250's) rather than four 500's. And for the masters tournaments, instead of having one non-compulsory one and the rest compulsory, say they have to play any 8 (or better still, 7) out of the 9.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:04 am

Therein lies the problem ..... there will be Tournament Directors (TD's) who will say they cannot promote an event properly if the 'stars' presence is uncertain. Sponsors will be less than happy to put in money in the hope of attracting top players if they're not going to be there. That will make it more difficult to get ticket sales and that affects prize money/appearance money. Fine for the guys at the top but it'll cascade down to the lower echelons who could start to lose moneys. It would certainly require the players to realise there could be financial and sponsorship implications.
    Linda
    Linda

Post  Linda Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:01 am

Although being non-compulsory doesn't seem to have harmed MC at all. I think Fed missed a couple of years and Djoko missed this year, but most of the top players turn up. And at any compulsory Masters, there are always players who withdraw citing injury.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:28 am