Andy Murray

The former temporary home of members of the former official forum of tennis player Andy Murray. This forum is no longer in use save as an archive. Please join us by re-registering at www.andymurrayfanforum.com/

Retrieval of Lost Blogs...

RFS
    RFS

Retrieval of Lost Blogs... Empty Retrieval of Lost Blogs...

Post  RFS on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:39 pm

I am making a MAHUSIVE assumption here... but are the mods of old able to contact Rob the editor, or indeed anyone from Tech Support at BluHalo (you must have had to liaise with them in the past) to see if people's blogs can be retrieved?

I know they have closed the forums down, but they may not have deleted all the threads etc.

It doesn't affect me, as I had only posted one blog natively in the forums, and ironically it was in Jamie's and that blog started me down my current Journo path. All my others were always in (w)TF... and then later Chalkdust.

But for those people that only posted in am.com/jm.org - I think it's worth an ask... the worst they can say is No.

(and while you're at it - ask them why the hell they MIS-managed the closure!!!)
    Linda
    Linda

Retrieval of Lost Blogs... Empty Re: Retrieval of Lost Blogs...

Post  Linda on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:08 pm

I'd love to be able to retrieve my blogs - something to look back on in my old age!

Lizzim has managed to retrieve most of hers by finding them on cached copies - but I don't know how to do that.
    RFS
    RFS

Post  RFS on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:17 pm

From what I read it was through remembering the titles/searching from them, but maybe Lizzim can elaborate Very Happy

Hope you do get them back.

I was going to link all the Andy and Jamie matches here - but not worth it at the moment as this is temporary (although I have to say - it seems to give a fair but of functionality... AND it's free - ALWAYS good.
    Linda
    Linda

Post  Linda on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:33 pm

The trouble with free forums is that they can't take a lot of traffic - so if we keep growing and get 100 or so members all posting at the same time (as could happen during a match) the site would crash. But it certainly meets all our requirements for now.
    Lizzim
    Lizzim

Post  Lizzim on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:49 pm

Linda wrote:I'd love to be able to retrieve my blogs - something to look back on in my old age!

Lizzim has managed to retrieve most of hers by finding them on cached copies - but I don't know how to do that.

I just googled what I thought titles were - then opened the cached version of the webpage and copied to a text file. Trouble is if there are multiple pages you have to do this for each one.....and then sort the text out as you get every bit of text in the page!
    Linda
    Linda

Post  Linda on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:59 pm

Thanks Lizzim! I've just tried it and found 'Linda at Queens 2008 final'! Hope I can remember the names of some of my other blogs!
    Lizzim
    Lizzim

Post  Lizzim on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:03 pm

Linda wrote:Thanks Lizzim! I've just tried it and found 'Linda at Queens 2008 final'! Hope I can remember the names of some of my other blogs!

once you know how many pages you will need to Google each page separately to get all the content. sorry for small text but I am using my phone and can't change it Smile
    Linda
    Linda

Post  Linda on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:04 pm

OK I got the first page but how do I get the other pages?
    Lizzim
    Lizzim

Post  Lizzim on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:09 pm

Linda wrote:OK I got the first page but how do I get the other pages?

Go back and Google Linda at queens (blog title) page 2 then repeat for other page numbers. You should be able to see how many page numbers there are as you copy the first page - this might increase though so when you copy page 2 the page numbers might have changed.

Does that make sense?
    Pam
    Pam

Post  Pam on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:10 pm

Really glad some people are managing to retrieve their blogs. I wouldn't have a clue how to do that. Mine are quite old now and I wouldn't have a clue how to do it as I don't remember what they are all called. Let's hope the people at 19 entertainment will let us back on the forum sometime to get them all. Some of mine have got photos that I haven't got stored anywhere else.

Last edited by Pam on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Linda
    Linda

Post  Linda on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:11 pm

Yes! Got page 2 now. Thank you so much, Lizzim!
    Lizzim
    Lizzim

Post  Lizzim on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:13 pm

Linda wrote:Yes! Got page 2 now. Thank you so much, Lizzim!

Glad to hear it Linda, hope you get most of yours back as well Smile

Luckily most of my photos are in Photobucket so they are safe:)
    Speedy Hawk
    Speedy Hawk

Post  Speedy Hawk on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:19 am

I managed to get important threads by:

thread title - page 1
    thread title - page 2

If you don't put in '-' between thread title and page number it mostly won't work finding correct thread page number. Some reason adding in '-' works the best.

Try get full thread title if possible.
    supergran
    supergran

Post  supergran on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:13 am

Googled my Wimbledon blog and my last one. They came up but when I clicked on told they couldn't be found. How sad is that?
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:33 am

supergran wrote:Googled my Wimbledon blog and my last one. They came up but when I clicked on told they couldn't be found. How sad is that?
    I think I have read somewhere that you need to click on 'cached' rather than the full google reference.
    Also, if spambots have been searching they might have destroyed the cached link.

Lizzim knows!
    :whorship:
    Linda
    Linda

Post  Linda on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:21 pm

SG, what Sally says is correct - you need to click on where it says cached after the description of the page.
    Lizzim
    Lizzim

Post  Lizzim on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:17 pm

Linda wrote:SG, what Sally says is correct - you need to click on where it says cached after the description of the page.

To be fair to SG, I tried to recover her DC blog but got nowhere - guess the Google bots had moved on already?
    Linda
    Linda

Post  Linda on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:26 pm

Oh, that's a shame - I'd better hurry up and grap what I can before it disappears then!
    Linda
    Linda

Post  Linda on Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:15 am

Ooh! I've found Knit the Tail on the Chocolate Donkey!Knit the Tail on the Chocolate Donkey
    JAMES4578
    JAMES4578

Post  JAMES4578 on Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:52 am

Linda wrote:Ooh! I've found Knit the Tail on the Chocolate Donkey!Knit the Tail on the Chocolate Donkey

oh fabulous Linda! Laughing
    Jan
    Jan

Post  Jan on Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:47 am

Linda wrote:Ooh! I've found Knit the Tail on the Chocolate Donkey!Knit the Tail on the Chocolate Donkey
    That was brilliant! Laughing
    RoastLamb
    RoastLamb

Post  RoastLamb on Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:32 am

I printed out some of my blogs. Well, two of them. Ages ago. Wish I'd had the foresight to do that with all of them.
    RFS
    RFS

Post  RFS on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:51 pm

So guessing that either no-one from BluHalo has contacted anyone from the old mod team about the potential to salvage stuff or has no-one contacted them about the same? I can't believe no-one has contacted them and asked why the hell they scrapped the forums for with no notice, at the very least!!!

It cannot have escaped their notice that there was a lot of hugely sentimental material there?

#smh

supergran
    supergran

Post  supergran on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:54 am

I've been thinking the same. Surely the blogs and photos belong to us. They must be somewhere. I'm not au fait with computer wizardry but can't they be found? If I knew how to get in touch with whoever pulled the plug I would but no-one seems to have an answer. Crying or Very sad
    Lizzim
    Lizzim

Post  Lizzim on Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:09 am

supergran wrote:I've been thinking the same. Surely the blogs and photos belong to us. They must be somewhere. I'm not au fait with computer wizardry but can't they be found? If I knew how to get in touch with whoever pulled the plug I would but no-one seems to have an answer. Crying or Very sad

I would think contacting Andy's management company would be the place to start - a quick Google should come up with some form of contact details if anybody was so inclined.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:43 pm