Andy Murray

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Andy Murray

The former temporary home of members of the former official forum of tennis player Andy Murray. This forum is no longer in use save as an archive. Please join us by re-registering at www.andymurrayfanforum.com/

+6
GUB
AnnuverScotinExile
Hawkeye
Linda
Admin
supergran
10 posters

Idiot guide

supergran
    supergran

Idiot guide  Empty Idiot guide

Post  supergran Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:14 am

Already I am overwhelmed with what I can't do. Up to now have tried to change size and colour and failed. Everything seems very technical. Don't know if I will be able to put a photo/avator on. Don't even understand some of the instructions as I have failed to carry them out successfully.

Last edited by supergran on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : omission)
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Idiot guide  Empty Re: Idiot guide

Post  Admin Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:19 am

supergran wrote:Already I am overwhelmed with what I can't do. Up to now have tried to change size and colour and failed. Everything seems very technical. Don't know if I will be able to put a photo/avator on. Don't even understand some of the instructions as I have failed to carry them out successfully.

It's OK - people will help you.

Start with size and colour.

Highlight the text as you'd normally do.
    Then click on the colour icon (bottom row, 7th from left) and click on a colour.
    Repeat to edit size. Highlight text, click on size (bottom row, 7th from left), select and go. Then post send and see if it works.
    Back shortly.
    supergran
    supergran

Post  supergran Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:42 am

Thanks for advice. Will try to follow it properly!. I have another problem which is quite worrying. When I type in the forum name ie andymurray.forumotion.com I keep getting other websites not this one. I have to go on to Jane's fb page and click on her link. But that won't be available for ever will it? Have I copied the name down wrong? Can anyone help? And another question...Why is it always me who has problems? Shall I go away and put my head in a paper bag?
    Linda
    Linda

Post  Linda Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:38 am

Hi SG, you're not the only one who's had problems - two of our members joined another forum with a very similar name by mistake! (.co.uk instead of .com). If you're worried about losing the link, why not bookmark the forum whilst you are here? Then you can come straight back at any time.
    Hawkeye
    Hawkeye

Post  Hawkeye Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:02 am

Was the forum down for a while there? I wondered how it would cope with a Saturday night semi-final, tomorrow could be problematic.
    AnnuverScotinExile

Post  AnnuverScotinExile Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:10 am

Hawkeye wrote:Was the forum down for a while there? I wondered how it would cope with a Saturday night semi-final, tomorrow could be problematic.

Yes it was down. "For maintenance" it said. The US Open final would be a problem. GIves them a little while to sort it out ...
    Linda
    Linda

Post  Linda Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:13 am

Forum went down, as I expected it would with lots of people on posting at the same time (though I thought it would take more people than that to do it). That is the trouble with these free forums, they can't handle the traffic. It's fine for everything else except cheering matches. Though I see a lot of members were cheering on Twitter rather than here, so maybe that's what we'll have to do, and just have everything else on here.
    GUB
    GUB

Post  GUB Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:55 am

maybe we need a donation drive?

if we are really passionate about having our own home to cheer Andy on

maybe we need to put our hard earned in to it, yea I know crazy woman, don't know what paid for forums cost but a fiver each? a year

50 dedicated members it sharp adds up and I reckon it will be more like a 100?
    Linda
    Linda

Post  Linda Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:03 am

I think that's a good idea. They had to do the same on VB as they had to move to a better hosting company in order to handle the volume of traffic, as it kept going down. They asked for donations and in 24 hours they got enough to run the site for 2 years. (I put in a tenner - I'm sure most people would be happy to do the same.)

NB you can also have advertising income - on VB they have links to TennisTV and Tennis Nexus, and they get commission when anyone clicks on the links.
    GUB
    GUB

Post  GUB Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:29 am

so not so crazy then

would have to be anonymous so folks that really couldn't afford it this year wouldn't feel uncomfortable

the forum would need a bank account (anyone willing to take that on?) also a paypal account? or would we be taking cheques?

personally ye I would donate to keep a roof over our heads

but we do need to proceed with caution and protect the people holding the money (you know how things have been twisted in the past)and protect the forum

if everything is transparent no-one can throw accusation
    AnnuverScotinExile

Post  AnnuverScotinExile Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:42 am

GUB wrote:so not so crazy then

would have to be anonymous so folks that really couldn't afford it this year wouldn't feel uncomfortable

the forum would need a bank account (anyone willing to take that on?) also a paypal account? or would we be taking cheques?

personally ye I would donate to keep a roof over our heads

but we do need to proceed with caution and protect the people holding the money (you know how things have been twisted in the past)and protect the forum

if everything is transparent no-one can throw accusation

This stuff is all underway in the other forum. This is probably not the best place to discuss it, then. However, as Dawn suggests, it seems quite likely that we will have to pay a fairly modest amount to get decent software and bandwidth (looks like this place struggled to keep up with 20 or so after Andy's match). And we are certainly discussing various ways to gather that dosh, including accepting donations.

FWIW, I agree that anonymity is definitely preferable here. And no one should feel that they HAVE TO donate, just that they can donate if they wish.

We already have a bank account (and have had for some time).
    jaydu
    jaydu

Post  jaydu Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:53 am

it went down after the match , now the error message i got stated it was down for maintenance which i suppose is possible
    the only think about migrating to twitter during matches is the chat quickly gets lost. a lot of folk like to go back over the match threads after the match
    GUB
    GUB

Post  GUB Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:00 am

yep

I really don't want to rely on twitter during matches

for me personally twitter is for keeping up with thoughts from Maggie, Andy, Jamie, Jake Humphrey, Jenson Button. Lewis Hamilton, James Ward, etc etc

vixen66
    vixen66

Post  vixen66 Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:23 am

Can anybody help me in getting an avatar or photo uploaded. I'm afraid I haven't got a clue and am feeling a bit out of it. I'm sorry but I'm not understanding how I even get started. grateful for any advice. Crying or Very sad
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:35 am

vixen66 wrote:Can anybody help me in getting an avatar or photo uploaded. I'm afraid I haven't got a clue and am feeling a bit out of it. I'm sorry but I'm not understanding how I even get started. grateful for any advice. Crying or Very sad

Hi Vixen - I'm sure others can help with the Avatar.
    I'm about to PM you about Davis Cup!!!

clown
    Linda
    Linda

Post  Linda Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:47 am

Hi Vixen! Very Happy

Click on Profile then on Avatar. Then you can either upload a pic from your computer or enter the URL of a pic on the internet. Hope this helps.
    vixen66
    vixen66

Post  vixen66 Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:11 am

Sally if you see this can you email the information about DC. I'm not getting any messages through due to some daft i pad message that won't let me access any messages. There is nothing but that in my in box. many thanks Cathy. Crying or Very sad
    pabbers
    pabbers

Post  pabbers Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:29 am

vixen66 wrote:Sally if you see this can you email the information about DC. I'm not getting any messages through due to some daft i pad message that won't let me access any messages. There is nothing but that in my in box. many thanks Cathy. Crying or Very sad

Sally may not have your email address if it was on the old forum so try emailing her at Andymurrayfanforum@hotmail.com in case she doesn't spot your request Very Happy
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:36 am

pabbers wrote:
    vixen66 wrote:Sally if you see this can you email the information about DC. I'm not getting any messages through due to some daft i pad message that won't let me access any messages. There is nothing but that in my in box. many thanks Cathy. Crying or Very sad

Sally may not have your email address if it was on the old forum so try emailing her at Andymurrayfanforum@hotmail.com in case she doesn't spot your request Very Happy

It's OK. I've spoken with Cathy.
    She had managed to click on that daft pop-up advert that I need to get rid of.

Twisted Evil
    vixen66
    vixen66

Post  vixen66 Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:16 am

A great big thank you to you Linda for your help. Thanks to you, I have my avatar. I was really struggling with where things where. Very Happy
    Linda
    Linda

Post  Linda Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:39 am

Great, let's hope you can soon change it for one where he's holding a more attractive trophy! Very Happy
    RoastLamb
    RoastLamb

Post  RoastLamb Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:52 am

Linda wrote:Great, let's hope you can soon change it for one where he's holding a more attractive trophy! Very Happy

lol! I was going to change my avatar to the Cincy one but realized pretty quickly the Queen's trophy is oh so better and more attractive.

No rolling smiley? No

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:31 pm