Andy Murray

The former temporary home of members of the former official forum of tennis player Andy Murray. This forum is no longer in use save as an archive. Please join us by re-registering at www.andymurrayfanforum.com/

DAVIS CUP 2012 - E-A Zone I - GBR v Slovakia - 10-12 Feb

supergran

Re: DAVIS CUP 2012 - E-A Zone I - GBR v Slovakia - 10-12 Feb

Post  supergran on Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:05 am

steven wrote:Just got an email from the ITF which confirms that if we were to get through to play Belgium in R2, we would play that tie at home too.

Given the teams we could have faced, the chances of getting a home tie in R1 *and* a potential home tie in R2 were less than 1 in 20! So, just a little jammy.

I'm a little disappointed though, because we had just been making plans to combine a possible April DC trip to Brussels with trips to see friends in Brussels and Rotterdam!

Btw, if we lost to Slovakia in February, we would face an relegation playoff AWAY to the losers of ISR v POR in September.

Thanks Steven, but would have loved to go a bit further afield in April. I'm NOT complaining though.
    hfwardhouse

Post  hfwardhouse on Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:37 am

So chuffed it's another home tie and it's landed at the half term holiday so we're sorted .... just have to find some money from somewhere .... off to buy a lottery ticket for tonight!!!

Slightly disappointed it's a potential home tie in April because we WON'T be able to go due to farming duties .... we start lambing on 1st April and I have to be here - was gutted to see the dates of the April tie landed slap bang in the middle of the busiest 3 weeks of the year Sad Sad Sad

LC the fan

Post  LC the fan on Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:38 am

Home ties have to be good news ! Much more likely that Andy will play too - not sure if that's good or bad but I think its the travelling that gets him sometimes
    steven

Post  steven on Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:45 am

jeannie13 wrote:Thanks for the information, Steven. I too was thinking that Brussels would be good to visit --several airlines fly from Edinburgh to Brussels. However, it's good that we have 2 home ties,possibly. Travel in UK could be dodgy in mid-Feb. so I might pass on that one.Sad

Actually, there is still a possibility of a tie AWAY to Belgium, but it would be in September and we don't want it to happen, because it'll mean we're in trouble!

The rules of DC mean that any team that loses its first match (even if it is in R2) goes into the relegation bracket.

So, if we lost to Slovakia and they then lost to Belgium, both of those teams would have won one match and we would go straight to a relegation playoff away to Israel or Portugal in September, as described in my earlier post.

BUT if Slovakia beat us and then beat Belgium as well, Belgium would join us in the relegation bracket and we would play them away on 14-16 September, with the losers of that tie then facing a relegation battle with the losers of ISR v POR, and if that was us, it would be an away tie on 19-21 October.
    steven

Post  steven on Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:51 am

Since some of you are probably getting confused by now (confusion is something DC has a reputation for being good at, but it's not really as bad as it looks - in reality, they do a pretty good job of covering all the options in as few weekends as possible! Smile ), let's set out all the possibilities once and for all:

10-12 Feb

GB play the Slovak Republic at HOME

6-8 Apr

Two possibilities:

a) no tie until Sep <if we lost to SVK in Feb>

b) GB play Belgium at HOME <if we beat SVK in Feb>

14-16 Sep

Various possibilities:

a) no tie (and no more in 2012) <if we lost to BEL in April>

We stay in Group 1 for 2013.

b) a World Group play-off tie <only if we have beaten both SVK and BEL>

We play in the World Group in 2013 if we win, stay in Group 1 for 2013 if we lose.

c) GB play Belgium AWAY <only if SVK have beaten both GBR and BEL>

We stay in Group 1 for 2013 if we win, face a relegation play-off in Oct if we lose.

d) GB play the loser of ISR v POR AWAY <only if SVK have beaten GBR then lost to BEL>

We stay in Group 1 for 2013 if we win, get relegated to Group 2 for 2013 if we lose.

19-21 Oct

GB play the loser of ISR v POR AWAY <only if SVK have beaten GBR in Feb then lost to BEL in Apr and GBR have then lost to BEL in September> (*)

We stay in Group 1 for 2013 if we win, get relegated to Group 2 for 2013 if we lose.

(*) N.B. This is the only scenario in which we would play a tie in October.

LC the fan

Post  LC the fan on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:00 am

Wow - third time of reading I've just about understood all that

Thanks Steven
    Linda

Post  Linda on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:00 am

Thanks Steven, I'm sure several of us were getting a bit confused!
    GUB

Post  GUB on Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:04 am

Thanks Steven

no wonder people say the format needs looking at cyclops cyclops cyclops

cazza99

Post  cazza99 on Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:19 am

Thanks Steven Smile
    JAMES4578

Post  JAMES4578 on Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:28 am

Thanks for all the info Steven, who said DC was straighforward lol! Whilst an away trip in the spring might have been appealing for some of us, home support can be crucial and Andy is more likely to play in these circumstances. We can't guarantee playing in April of course as Slovakia will be tough but let's be hopefull!
    vixen66

Post  vixen66 on Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:54 am

Steven you are a genius. Thanks for all the info and it was lovely meeting you at Braehead. Very Happy

david1611

Post  david1611 on Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:12 am

Linda wrote:Good to hear it's a home tie again, so most of us can go, though must admit I'd been rather fancying a trip to somewhere like Slovenia!
    Well I'll say it now... if we end up playing Portugal in Portugal it will almost certainly be at the site of the Estoril tourney (clay in September!) and happy to be the local organizer of tickets, etc.
    Portugal have had two players in the top 100 this year, and Fernando Gil had a good run at Monte Carlo until stopped by Andy (hoping memory correct) and would almost certainly choose clay rather than hard courts, so even with Andy it could well come down to the doubles.

Would be amazing to see Andy play in Portugal - had more or less come to the conclusion it was not going to happen unless he really decided one year to get more clay court prep. in a smaller 250 event. Oh well, can still dream!
    steven

Post  steven on Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:28 pm

GUB wrote:Thanks Steven

no wonder people say the format needs looking at cyclops cyclops cyclops

I don't think it's as bad as it seems, in the sense that if you take it tie by tie (i.e. only look at the possibilities for the next round when the last round has finished), it's a lot easier to understand. It's only when we try to get ahead of ourselves by working out when and where we might end up playing so we can work out which weekends to keep free that it gets a bit tricky! tongue

The promotion side of the draw is as simple as it could possibly be. Ok, having World Group playoffs is more complicated than automatic promotion/relegation like they have in the lower groups, but I think changing half of the World Group each year would be excessive.

As for the relegation side, I think they get the number of teams moving up and down between groups each year about right, and everything else follows from the tricky but relatively sensible criteria they have to work to, i.e.

1) A very limited number of DC weekends, with preference going to some weekends over others. e.g. it would look a bit simpler if the possible relegation tie away to ISR/POR could only be played in October, but that weekend is likely to be far more inconvenient for most players than the normal DC weekend in September, so it makes sense to play it in September if both teams are known by then and only play it in October if there is no other option.

2) Each team in Group 2 upwards to get at least two ties each year but not to have to play more than three in a year unless they actually reach the DC Final.

3) Every team needs to win at least one real tie (i.e. byes don't count) to avoid relegation and you can't be relegated if you do win at least one tie.

Point 3) explains the bit that seems weirdest about next year, i.e. that if we lose to Slovakia, whether we then get one or two chances to avoid relegation would depend on whether Slovakia then beat Belgium.

If there weren't any byes in R1, this bit of apparent weirdness would not arise, but Group 1 has to be set up such that there will be some byes in R1 most years else there wouldn't be enough places in Group 1 in the unlikely (but not impossible) event that every World Group playoff tie had been lost by a Euro/African team the previous year.

When you think about it, it does also seem reasonably fair to treat us as the 'worst' team in our little section if we lose to Slovakia and they then lose to Belgium, but for us to have to play Belgium to see which is really the 'worst' team if Slovakia beat both of us.

So overall, given the restrictions they have to work to, I don't think the ITF do too bad a job of this, even if it does take a bit of effort to work out exactly what might happen at the start of each year. I would also much rather they did it like this than ran DC in a "World Cup" type format, i.e. all ties played in the same country over the course of a couple of weeks - the fact that Fed Cup Euro/Africa Group 1 is played like that is the reason why we haven't had a home Fed Cup tie since the early 1990s.

Alis

Post  Alis on Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:18 pm

Thanks Steven - you couldn't set it out more clearly even for those challenged by their seniority like me!
    pabbers

Post  pabbers on Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:58 am

Thanks Steven!
    jeannie13

Post  jeannie13 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:26 am

[Thanks Steven for all the information--I don't know what we would do without you. Smile You set everything out so clearly. I'm full of admiration!!!
    supergran

Post  supergran on Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:03 am

More thanks Steven. I understand it now - thanks to you!! Very Happy
    hfwardhouse

Post  hfwardhouse on Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:43 am

Thanks Steven - I think I'll just take it a round at a time .... wonder when they'll decide where the February tie will take place ....
    Lindsaywebb64

Post  Lindsaywebb64 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:05 pm

Probably the wrong place to post this question but is Andy playing in Bangkok and will there be any livestreams?
    ChrisMac

Post  ChrisMac on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:38 pm

I was just about to ask the same question.
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:10 am

Lindsaywebb64

Post  Lindsaywebb64 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:18 am

Thanks for that
    steven

Post  steven on Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks everyone, I'm glad it's made it all clear(er) for some of you - I do worry sometimes that I'm inadvertently making it sound more complicated than it is rather than less!

Taking it round by round like hfwardhouse is of course the least complicated and probably most sensible option, but I know I'm not the only one who can't resist trying to work out what might happen later in the year too. Very Happy
    supergran

Post  supergran on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Steven, need your help. Amanda Platell having a very vicious go at Andy has said that he has played 87 matches in the last 12 months which works out at one and a half games per week. Is it possible that you could verify this?
    lynne

Post  lynne on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:44 pm

Please let us know if you receive an e-mail back from the lady(cough!)have you tried tweeting Steven might be quicker!!!.......Good Luck Maureen!! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:39 pm